"Re-building Since 1979"

Bobblehead, Mini-Bat, Umbrella and Towel Promotions ! …Excited??!!

I said “NO!”  I imagine everyone else said “No.”  Why would anyone want to work for this Front Office?  They wouldn’t.  They’d be crazy to.  I believe the front office had some feelers out there, but none of them panned out.  They all ultimately had to say no.  One candidate after another:

So what’s a Cheap Owner to do??  With no options left Bob Nothing and Neal Nothington probably figured that they’ll stick with Good Ol’ Clint.

And Hurdle ends up laughing all the way to the bank with a FOUR YEAR extension.  Bring on the mediocrity for another four years!  If your theory is not that ownership tried to find someone else, that they wanted Clint to continue and they have complete confidence in his leadership and decision-making, then you have accepted life in a Bizarro World.  Allow me to explain, but first a couple of questions:

1.  Does a car salesman who sells the fewest cars get a big bonus?  (No in Real World)
  2.  Does the laborer who sleeps on the job get a promotion?  (No in Real World)

In the Bizarro world we have two questions:

1.  Do washed up, sub-200 hitters on the Pirates get to start regularly?  (YES)
  2. And how shall we deal with a manager who posts a losing record for the 12th time in 16 years as a manager?  (Re-Up him for 4 more years!?)
  • From 2002 through 2017 just 4 winning records
  • No team he has managed ever finished first in their division.  (Rockies were a wild card team in 2007 and got hot to reach the series)
  • Only manager in the history of managing baseball to have 5 straight losing seasons in his first 5 of managing and NOT get fired (Associated Press article from 2009)
  • And let’s remember his judgment.  (Slow to recognize the obvious)
  • And his leadership (No discipline.  Everyone gets a participation trophy)
  • And the circus like shuffling of the line up.  (Who’s on First, What’s on Second, I Don’t Know’s on Third)

And on and on and on.  But, lousy, cheap ownership begets lousy management.  So I’m not surprised.  If you like mediocrity, you are assured of it for four more years.

As for today’s game.  The Bucs won their third straight with the biggest home shutout since 1972, beating the Cubs 12-0.  Every position player in the line up for the Pirates had at least two hits.  Except one player.   Yes, Where’s Waldo Rodriguez put up his usual 0-fer going 0 for 5 with 2 strike outs.  He is hitting .174.  Enough already.

12 thoughts on “No One Else Wants to Manage Bucs with this Front Office…So Hurdle Inks 4-Year Deal”

Truth Hurts says:

I laughed my ass off when I heard or the 4 year extension today. I would have laughed at one year….but four??? Crazy crazy crazy.

With the presumed savings of budget by re-signing Hurdle, I ponder the meal budget for Nutting in Wheeling may stretch a bit.

McGillicuddy says:

Don’t forget the “scheduled days off” or “regular day off” for a true, producing starter. At times I think Hurdle cools off a hot bat with this practice.

imisslemonadeguy says:

I’ve got no rational explanation for this. It would have been an easy out to let Clint retire. The other option would have just been to not renew his contract and politely wish him well. This is exactly why the Pirates suck.

imisslemonadeguy says:

He also sold cotton candy. Let’s not forget. CANDY

So Boxing, at least we know that http://www.piratessuck.com will continue to flourish with Clint at the helm.

Can’t wait to see the 3 stooges next year. Give Jaso the extension now. LMAO. I’m thinking that soon. We will easily be able to name the seven dwarfs, Bucco style.

Gunner says:

It gets worse. NH also just signed a 4-year deal, and Teke just announced he is retiring from AT&T/Root Sports after this year. To paraphrase Mike Lange, “I don’t know whether to cry or wind my watch.” FOUR MORE YEARS of guaranteed mediocrity, bad FO decisions, cheap ownership, and on-field hijinks with the Three Stooges,. And less of a connection to the last Pirates team to actually WIN anything. Instead of Teke, we can expect another boring, plain vanilla Blockhead clone. On no! Unwatchable will become unbearable. Oh, the pain. The pain.

But they are on a 4 game winning streak! GO BUCS. The pennant is within reach! Whoo Hoo

Nicasio is traded to the Cardinals today. So essentially, our 2nd best reliever is competing against us. I’m sure we’ll be batting against him soon.

Just saw the lineup for tonight. Clint can’t enjoy the success, so he has brought Waldo and Stooge Stewart back to the starting lineup. Also, our best offensive player in roughly 6 categories (Josh Bell), GETS THE DAY OFF!. Yes, it’s his regular day off. He turned 25 years old last month so I’m sure he is exhausted.

And don’t give me that “match-up” or “righty-lefty” excuse…HE IS A SWITCH HITTER

4 more years of this goofball logic. Ugh.

Sandy from Canonsburg says:

Pirates lose 1-0. No one hitting. Guess that’s what happens when you sit starters. Nice to see Waldo and Jaso get their playing time.

And Hudson blowing the game in his only inning. when will we catch on to this Hudson?

Youngstown Fab says:

And Jaso made last out striking out.

Baseball Winter Meetings Update: Pirates Claim infielder Engalb Vielma from Phillies

Why do we even go to the meetings?  Here are the particulars on Engalb Vielma.

1. He's a minor league shortstop who had a . [...]