Ok. We know that Nutting and Huntington are not our allies, and did nothing to help the Bucs make a run this year. But what is with Clint Hurdle’s interviews? Particularly his post-game interview after losing to Cincinnati tonight. Here are Clint’s thoughts:
- We probably needed a better first throw and a quicker tag.
- We missed some opportunities early.
- We’ll take it one step at a time.
- We will have to re-visit the checklist.
- We’ll peel back some of the layers.
Excuses don’t resonate well at this point. If it really is the company line than know that it is not too palatable to fans. (And oh how I wish one reporter would ask, “Why are you starting Jaso who hasn’t had a hit in two months and is 0 for 34 since June 5th)
Is Clint just trying to appease and save his job? Has Huntington and Nutting told him how to handle any question? Or does he just suck as a leader?
Can Clint say this instead?
- As a team, we know we are not performing to the level that we should.
- We are not executing at the plate, on the base paths, defensively, or on the mound.
- I apologize to the fans for their unwavering support when our team is performing like this.
- I am dedicated to righting this ship and am thankful for your patience.
JUST PLEASE TAKE SOME LEVEL OF ACCOUNTABILITY!!
Lastly, I made a note of where the Bucs were at the All-Star break:
7.0 behind Brewers, 1.5 behind Cubs, 1.5 behind Cards (7+1.5+1.5= 10)
As of tonight it stands:
6.5 behind Cubs, 4.0 behind Brewers, 1.0 behind Cards (6.5+4.0+1.0+ 11.5)
A month is gone and we have lost ground to leap-frogging all three teams. I keep hearing it is a WEAK division. You know why it is weak? Because the Pirates are the chief under performer in the division.