10 days ago we posted the current Vegas odds for the Pirates winning the division (25-1) and winning the World Series (150-1). Well, things have changed with a bit better odds on the Pirates but MUCH better odds on the Cubs. Here is where we stand:
Pirates 20-1 to win the division (100-1 to win the World Series if you really want to know)
Cubs: 1-2 to win the division (that means that you have to bet $200 just to win $100 on the Cubs to win the division)
Brewers: 2-1 to win the division
Cards: 9-1 to win the division
The experts are still saying “no way” for the Pirates. Remember…Vegas knows. Here is what they also likely know:
- Television Viewership of Pirates games is down 27%
- Attendance at Pirates games is down roughly 4,000 per game (of 30 teams, only the Royals have lost more attendance year over year)
- Thus, revenues generated are less
- Thus, no acquisitions that can really help this year
- And still the possibility of selling talent for future prospects.
As for the fans, they see Moroff (.123 average) and Jaso (.221 average) getting more playing time at the cost of Frazier (.267)
As for guys like C. Tebow, he sees a vulnerability to the teams’ future in Pittsburgh if they don’t trim expenses and dump salary for future prospects.
As for ownership and other components of the front office, they too would rather keep the team profitable and stay in Pittsburgh rather than gamble and possibly move.
At 10 days before the trade deadline, don’t expect any great news. A losing team is still better than no team…